Copyright © 2012 Sakâw Askiy Management Inc.
We are seeking your comments on the draft Forest Operating Plan for 2020-2025
Public Information sessions will be held August 30- October 4 2019
Checking the Facts : Deforestation
- Forest harvesting is NOT deforestation. A forest that has been harvested is still a forest.
- The trees start to grow back immediately and the forest life cycle starts again, through a combination of root suckering, natural seeding in and planting. The reforestation of all harvested areas is a fundamental prerequisite to having the rights to harvest timber.
- Deforestation is a permanent loss of forests because of a change in land use. (Such as agriculture, Roads, Communities)
- Most forestry roads (located in and between harvest areas) are temporary and reclaimed after use.
- There are also some long-term roads that will eventually be reclaimed. Until that time they may be removed from use (decommissioned) until they are needed again to access future wood.
- Road construction is minimized as much as possible to reduce the impact on wildlife habitat, construction and maintenance costs, and exposure to environmental and financial liabilities.
- A target of <300 ha/yr converted to other land uses (e.g. long-term roads, landing strips/pads, gravel pits, etc.) has been set and will be reported on each year.
Sakâw Askiy Management Inc., holds the Forest Management Agreement and is responsible for monitoring and reporting on harvesting, hauling and silviculture operations.
The total area (land, water, swamp) of the FMA is 3.3 million hectares with 2.6 million being forested. Timber harvesting is expected to be possible on 1.6 million hectare or 58% of the forested area.
Sakâw is currently operating under the existing Forest Management Plan established by Weyerhaeuser Canada. The new Management Plan is scheduled for completion in 2017.
Sakâw, through its member companies, compiles an operating plan each year describing the activities that are planned to occur (harvesting, road building, etc).
PUBLIC ADVISORY GROUP DOCUMENTS
Sakâw Public Advisory Group documents can be found on this page.